School District 20
Highly Prized School District in Colorado Springs
Academy School District 20 is known for academic excellence. A high proportion of students continue on after graduation to higher education, and SAT/ACT scores of District 20 students are generally above the national average.
The School District 20 boundaries encompass a large area, with several Colorado Springs home communities. Some of the more prominent neighborhoods include Rockrimmon and Peregrine, Briargate, Northgate and Flying Horse, Pine Creek, Black Forest, Cordera and Wolf Ranch. If you’re looking for a home in School District #20, expect to pay around $275k on the lower end in the Briargate neighborhoods, and over $1m for the luxurious homes in neighborhoods like Flying Horse and parts of Black Forest.
See all District #20 Homes for Sale in Colorado Springs at this link.
“The mission of Academy School District 20 is to educate every student in a safe and nurturing environment and to provide comprehensive, challenging curricular and extracurricular opportunities that meet the unique needs of every individual by expanding interests, enhancing abilities, and equipping every student with the knowledge, skills, and character essential to being a responsible citizen of our community, our nation, and the world.” – ASD20.org
Academy School District 20 is one of the largest districts in Colorado Springs. It serves the educational needs of families in northern Colorado Springs, Black Forest and the United States Air Force Academy.
Here is a brief history and a handy reference for which elementary school feeds into which middle school which feeds into which High School.
Academy School District 20 – Administration Building
1110 Chapel Hills Drive, Colorado Springs CO 80920
It started in the early 1900s with just one school.
“In the early 1900s, the high altitude and dry climate of Colorado Springs gained international reputation as a cure for tuberculosis. The Modern Woodmen of America, a life insurance company, opened a massive TB sanitorium for afflicted employees in what came to be known as Woodmen Valley. The sanatoriums popularity necessitated a school in the valley, and thus was born Woodmen School and the official beginnings of School District Twenty.” (Taken from District 20 Website)
Academy District 20 slowly grew to meet the needs of families in Black Forest, Woodmen Valley and eventually the Air Force Academy. Until the early 1980s, Academy School District 20 had just one high school, one middle school and a handful of elementary schools. They have grown to 5 High Schools, 5 Middle Schools, 18 Elementary Schools and one Charter School.
For a detailed map of the district and locations of each school, please check out the Boundary Map.
Serving the Colorado Springs Neighborhoods of: Northern Briargate, Pine Creek, Wolf Ranch, and Cordera:
- Pine Creek High School – On the corner of Old Ranch Road and Powers Blvd.- East Pine Creek
- Challenger Middle School -Right off of Lexington and Chapel Hills Drive in Pine Creek/ Briargate.
- Chinook Trail Elementary – Cordera – off Grand Lawn and Briargate.
- Ranch Creek Elementary – Wolf Ranch – off Revelstoke and Tutt
- Mountain View Elementary – Close to Challenger Middle School – off of Old Ranch Road and Lexington.
- School in the Woods Elementary – Southeast Black Forest – off Shoup Rd. and Vollmer Rd.
- Edith Wolford Elementary – Northern Black Forest – off of Black Forest Rd. and Wildridge.
Serving the Colorado Springs Neighborhoods of: Rockrimmon, Peregrine, and the US Air Force Academy:
- Air Academy High School – Located in the Southern part of the US Air Force Academy, off Pine Drive.
- Eagleview Middle School – Located in the heart of Rockrimmon on Vindicator, between Rockrimmon Drive and Centennial.
- Rockrimmon Elementary – Off of Rockrimmon Drive and Mikado.
- Foothills Elementary – Just West of Rockrimmon Elementary off Allegheny Dr.
- Woodmen Roberts Elementary – Off W. Woodmen Road in Peregrine
- Douglass Valley Elementary – Off Academy Drive, in the center of the US Air Force Academy.
- Pine Valley Elementary – Off Pine drive (near Air Academy HS) in the southern part of the US Air Force Academy.
Serving the Colorado Springs Neighborhoods of: Northgate, Gleneagle, Flying Horse and the western parts of Black Forest:
- Discovery Canyon Campus – This is a newer K-12 school just off of Northgate Blvd. in Flying Horse. This serves as both the Middle and High School for this area. The following other elementary schools also feed into Discovery Canyon:
- Antelope Trails Elementary – Off Gleneagle Drive, in Gleneagle (northernmost point of Colorado Springs.
- da Vinci Academy – (School for Arts and Ideas) in Northgate, off of Voyager.
Serving the Colorado Springs Neighborhoods of: Southwest neighborhoods of Briargate and Woodland Hills:
- Rampart High School – On the corner of Union Blvd. and Lexington Drive.
- Mountain Ridge Middle School – Off of Briargate PKWY. and Lexington Drive- Just North of Rampart HS.
- Academy Endeavor – Close to the corner of Research and Union.
- Academy International – ” … the first elementary school in North America to be authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization, our programme delivers the IBOs Primary Years Programme (PYP).” Off the corner of Briargate PKWY and Union.
- High Plains Elementary – In the neighborhood NW of Briargate BLVD and Union.
- Frontier Elementary – The western neighborhoods of Frontier Elementary feed into Mountain Ridge MS and Rampart HS. The divider is at Rangewood. The school is located on Meadowridge and Rangewood.
- Pioneer Elementary – This school is also divided. The western neighborhoods of Frontier Elementary feed into Mountain Ridge MS and Rampart HS. The divider is at E. Woodmen and Union. The school is located in Woodland Hills, at the southernmost part of D-20.
Serving the Colorado Springs Neighborhoods of: Southeast neighborhoods of Briargate and Wolf Ranch:
- Liberty High School – Just off Powers and Research. Home to the District 20 Stadium.
- Timberview Middle School – Just North of Liberty HS, off Scarborough Drive.
- Ranch Creek Elementary – New school in Wolf Ranch, East of Powers Blvd.
- Explorer Elementary – Northeast of Rangewood and Research. Close to Timberview MS.
- Prairie Hills Elementary – In the middle of the Fairfax neighborhood (south of Liberty HS) – off Scarborough and Telegraph.
- Frontier Elementary – The eastern neighborhoods of Frontier Elementary feed into Timberview MS and Liberty HS. The divider is at Rangewood. The school is located on Meadowridge and Rangewood.
- Pioneer Elementary – This school is also divided. The eastern neighborhoods of Frontier Elementary feed into Timberview MS and Liberty HS. The divider is at E. Woodmen and Union. The school is located in Woodland Hills, at the southernmost part of D-20.
Alternative and Charter Schools in Academy School District 20:
- The Classical Academy – “The Classical Academy is the largest Kindergarten through 12th grade charter school in Colorado. TCA began in 1997 with 400 students. Now, we have over 2,600 students with another 6,000 students on our waiting list. We are larger than 75% of the public school districts in Colorado. Our elementary, junior high, and high school are multiple recipients of the John J. Irwin Award for Academic Excellence.” (Taken from the Classical Academy website.)
There are 3 Classical Academy campuses throughout northern Colorado Springs:
- The Classical Academy East Campus – Grades K-6. Located in the same location as Liberty High School
- The Classical Academy Central Campus – Grades K-5. Located off Springcrest and Voyager/ State Highway 83
- The Classical Academy North Campus – Just South of Northgate Road, off Voyager.
- Aspen Valley High School – Located right behind Chapel Hills Mall, one block South of the District 20 Administration Building.
- Summit Middle School Program – Located in the District 20 Administration Building, at Chapel Hills Drive and Jamboree.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.